Assistantships, Fellowships, and Scholarships
Graduate research and teaching assistantships (GRA/GTA) are paid positions within the ALEC department. A graduate assistant also receives a full tuition waiver for both in-state and out-of-state tuition; however students must pay UGA fees and have health insurance.
GRA/GTA assist faculty with research and/or teaching and are expected to work 13-20 hours per week during the semester.
Students should submit a Letter of Intent and resume to Dr. Alexa Lamm, Graduate Coordinator, detailing the reasons for pursuing an assistantship and how experience and education contribute to the department’s teaching, research, and extension missions.
Deadline: Please note that you must apply for enrollment to the graduate program (MAEE) before applying for an assistantship. Letters of intent for assistantships are due February 1st for Fall admission and October 1st for Spring admission.
Other Assistantships, Fellowships, and Scholarships
- STEM Funding opportunities for Master's students
- PSO Graduate Assistantship Program
- Review the PSO Units for a fit with your interests and skill set.
- Make an appointment with the PSO unit department head to discuss you interest in the program.
- Discuss your fit and request the unit head to submit an application on your behalf.
- Complete the student application online.
- Follow up with the unit head.
- PSO funds 15 assistantships per year under this program.
- UGA Graduate School assistantships and scholarships: http://grad.uga.edu/index.php/current-students/financial-information/graduate-school-based-financial-assistance/funding-from-graduate-school/
- Grant Opportunities for Graduate Research Southern SARE Grants and Education to Advance Innovations in Sustainable Agriculture
- Loan Forgiveness for Teachers Under the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program, if you teach full-time for five complete and consecutive academic years in a low-income school or educational service agency, and meet other qualifications, you may be eligible for forgiveness of up to $17,500 on your Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans and your Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans.
- Loan Forgiveness for Public Service: If you are employed by a government or not-for-profit organization, you may be able to receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.