Own this profile? Request changes
- Doctor of Philosophy: Agricultural, Extension, & Adult Education, Cornell University, Ithaca New York. Minors: Program Evaluation and Curriculum & Instruction (1999)
- Master of Arts: Agricultural & Extension Education, New Mexico State University (1994)
- Teaching Credential: Agricultural Education, California State University, Chico (1987)
- Bachelor of Science: Animal Science, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (1984)
Kay Kelsey has served as program evaluator, adult educator, and qualitative research methodologist for 20 years. She has won 30 awards for outstanding teaching, research and service including the D. W. Brooks Award for Excellence in Diversity for the ALEC Department and two Fulbright Senior Scholar awards to assist Moi University to develop distance learning capacity, Kenya, 2009, and Naresuan University, Phitsanulok, Thailand to develop assessment strategies for adult learners, 2012.
- Five book chapters on evaluation and distance education research
- Seventy-one peer-reviewed journal articles
- Eight-two peer-reviewed conference proceedings
- Seven peer-reviewed extension bulletins
- Thirty-seven evaluation reports
- Thirty invited workshops and presentations
- Twenty-five grant awards from federal, state, and local agencies totaling $11,327,850.00
- Jackson, E., Kelsey, K. D., Rice, A. H. (2017 in press). A case study of technology mediated observation in pre-service teaching experiences for edTPA implementation. NACTA Journal.
- Brown, N. R. & Kelsey, K. D. (2016). Prospect evaluation as an emerging pre-evaluation technique in the case of Great Plains wheat producers’ use of Web 2.0 Technology. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, 4(2), 126-140. http://media.wix.com/ugd/c8fe6e_7a4fdc5cb0b94d2da6c4795f1956ffeb.pdf
- Baker, M., Bunch, J. C., & Kelsey, K. D. (2015). An instrumental case study of effective science integration in a traditional agricultural education program. Journal of Agricultural Education, 56(1), 221-236. Doi: 10.5032/jae.2015.01221. http://www.jae-online.org/attachments/article/1881/2014-0892-Baker.pdf
- Clark, M., Kelsey, K. D., Brown, N. R. (2014). The thornless rose: A phenomenological look at decisions career teachers make to remain in the profession. Journal of Agricultural Education, 55(3), 43-56. doi: 10.5032/jae.2014.03043. http://www.jae-online.org/index.php/back-issues/187-volume-55-number-3-2014/1833-the-thornless-rose-a-phenomenological-look-at-decisions-career-teachers-make-to-remain-in-the-profession
- Jones, C., Kelsey, K. D., Brown, N. R. (2014). Climbing the steps toward a successful cooperating teacher/student teacher mentoring relationship. (2013-0766). Journal of Agricultural Education, 55(2), 33-47. Doi: 10.5032/jae.2014.02033. http://www.jae-online.org/attachments/article/1815/2013-0808%20brown.pdf
- Brown, N. R., Terry, Jr. R., Kelsey, K. D. (2014). Examining camper learning outcomes and knowledge retention at Oklahoma FFA leadership camp. (2013-0759) Journal of Agricultural Education, 55(1), 8-23. doi: 10.5032/jae.2014.01008
- Brown, N. R., Terry, Jr. R., Kelsey, K. D. (2013). The impact of learning styles on learning outcomes at FFA camp: What campers retain over time. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(4), 206-220. Doi: 10.5032/jae.2013.04206
- Rebek, E. J., Kelsey, K. D., & Schnelle, M. (2013). Adoption of Integrated Pest Management practices among Oklahoma greenhouse producers: A case study for experiential learning. Journal of Extension 51(6), article 6RIB4. Available: http://www.joe.org/joe/2013december/rb4.php
- Robinson, J. S., Kelsey, K. D. & Terry, Jr. R. (2013). What images show that words do not: Analysis of pre-service teachers’ depictions of effective agricultural education teachers in the 21st century. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(3), 126-139. Doi: 10.5032/jae.2013.0126 (Author of the year, 2nd runner up).
- Blackburn, J., & Kelsey, K. D. (2013). Understanding authentic assessment in a secondary agricultural mechanics laboratory: An instrumental case study. Journal of Human Sciences and Extension, 1(1), 1-16.
- Brown, N. R., & Kelsey, K. D. (2013). Sidewalks and city streets: A model for vibrant agricultural education in urban American communities. Journal of Agricultural Education, 54(2), 57-69.
- Schrock, J., & Kelsey, K. D. (2013). A phenomenological look at 4-H volunteer motives for service. Journal of Extension, 51(2), article 2RIB1.
- Fabregas Janeiro, M. G. & Kelsey, K. D. (2012). Evaluación de Cambios en sensibilidad intercultural en estudiantes universitarios de cuatro instituciones estadounidenses que participaron en el Programa de verano de inmersión al español en Puebla, México. Revista Panamericana de Pedagogía Saberes y quehaceres del pedagogo, 19, 97-120.
- Fabregas Janeiro, M. G., Kelsey, K. D., Robinson, J. S. (2012). Predicting intercultural sensitivity using demographic variables among college of agriculture undergraduate students. US-China Education Review, 2(8), 710-719.
- Kelsey, K. D., & Stafne, E. T. (2012). A model for evaluating eXtension communities of practice. Journal of Extension, 50(5), 5FEA1.
- Xu, X., & Kelsey, K. D. (2012). Will eXtension survive? Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service employees’ perceptions of adopter attributes of eXtension. Journal of Extension, 50(6). Article Number 6RIB2.
- Baughman, S., Boyd, H. & Kelsey, K. D. (2012). The impact of the Government Performance and Results Act (GRPA) on two state Cooperative Extension systems. Journal of Extension, 50(1). Article Number IFEA3.
Recent Grant Activity
Kelsey has served as Co-PI or collaborator on twenty-five federal- and state-funded grants totaling over $11 million. Recent projects include:
- 2011-2014: Teaching Locally, Engaging Globally: Increasing Undergraduates’ Knowledge of International Dimensions. USDA Higher Education Challenge Grant. Lead evaluator with Amy Harder, University of Florida, Texas A&M University, North Carolina State University; Prairie View; Oklahoma State University.
- 2010-2014: iWheat: A web-based IPM information and delivery system to unify reduced risk management strategies for winter wheat in the central and southern plains. USDA, Risk Assessment Mitigation Program. Contract agreement no: 2010-51101-21642. Lead evaluator with Kris Giles, et al., Oklahoma State University.
- 2011-2016: Collaborative Research: URM: Preparing Biologists through Stewardship, Professionalism and Practice. National Science Foundation, DBI Undergraduate Research & Mentoring in Biological Sciences. Senior personal and lead evaluator with Kristen Baum and Don French, Zoology Department, OSU, Stillwater.
- 2011-2015: Oklahoma State University Coordination Program for IPM Oklahoma! USDA. Co-PD and Lead evaluator with Dr. Tom Royer, Entomology IPM Specialist, OSU Stillwater.
- 2010-2013: Request for Support of High-Priority EIPM Coordination Programs for IPM Oklahoma! USDA, NIFA. Co-PI and lead evaluator with Tom Royer, et al., Oklahoma State University.
- 2012-2015: A predictive Model to Increase Adoption of IPM of a Mint-Vitus Disease Complex in Wheat. Co-PD and lead evaluator with Gary Hein, et al. University of Nebraska-Lincoln. USDA, AFRI Food Security Grants Program